3 or 4Mars® Bars8 egg yolks250g caster sugar500ml milk500ml double cream or whipping cream1 or 2 vanilla pods, split,or 2/3 drops vanilla essence.
- Cream yolks and sugar together. Bring the milk and vanilla pod to the boil, then pour the simmering milk onto the yolks and sugar, whisking continuously.
- Strain the custard through a sieve into a clean pan, place over a medium heat and cook until the custard coats the back of the spoon - stirring continuously.
- Remove from the heat, pour into a clean bowl and allow to cool. When the custard is cold, semi whip the double cream, fold into the custard and place the mixture into the ice cream maker.
- Churn for approximately 15 to 20 minutes until it has thickened and is half frozen. Pour into a bowl and allow it to finish setting in the freezer.
- Chop up the Mars® bars as required and sprinkle over.
• This ice cream can be made without an ice cream machine, simply place the finished custard into a large bowl and freeze until well thickened, whip to keep a blended consistency, refreeze and repeat process every 15 to 20 minutes until almost set, then leave to freeze completely.