The Security Industry Authority (SIA) reached a landmark this week by granting the 200,000th licence to a front line Door Supervisor.
Andy Drane, acting SIA chief executive, said: "This is a tremendous achievement for the industry, which has made a huge investment in the last three years. 200,000 licences is a significant figure when you consider that there are just over 141,000 police officers deployed in England and Wales."
"Perceptions of the security industry are changing; security staff are more and more relied upon to keep the public and their community safe. When we introduced licensing, one of our main aims was to make SIA licence holders valued for their contributions to public protection; for licensed operatives that is exactly what is starting to happen. The SIA licence is a symbol the public can trust."
- 200,090 SIA licences have been issued
- 321,600 SIA approved security qualifications are held
- 346 security companies have gained Approved Contractor Status
- 6 sectors of the private security industry are now licensed
- 26 new security qualifications have been created
- 6,530 unsuitable people prevented from working in positions of trust