- Whole free-range chicken (around 2.2kg)
- 2 sprigs rosemary and 1 sprig thyme
- 1 large knob of soft butter
- Half lemon
- 9 cloves garlic, crushed
- 10 crushed pink peppercorns
- 2 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 1kg Jersey Royal potatoes, halved
For the caponata
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp smooth Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp green pitted olives
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp miniature capers
- 1 tbsp chopped gherkins
- 1 preserved lemon – flesh removed, zest finely chopped
- Pre-heat oven to Gas 6 (200°C). Place chicken in a roasting tin and smear breasts and thighs with soft butter.
- Put lemon, a sprig of rosemary, four garlic cloves and thyme in cavity and season with sea salt and fresh milled black pepper.
- Meanwhile, place Jersey Royals into a roasting tin, cover with remaining rosemary and garlic cloves, plus sea salt and crushed peppercorns. Add Worcester sauce and drizzle with a good quality rapeseed oil.
- Roast both chicken and potatoes for 20 minutes.
- Remove, cover both roasting tins with foil and reduce temperature to Gas 1 (100°C). Slow roast chicken and potatoes for two hours. Allow chicken to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Caponata: Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Store in a sealed Kilner jar in the fridge. However, it is best served at room temperature.