During the past two months there have been a number of break-ins – the most recent taking place at two pubs in Dorset last weekend, which follow previous incidents just over the border in Somerset.
Charity collection boxes, spirits and a music system were stolen from the Rose & Crown pub in Bradford Abbas, and, on the same evening, the Carpenter’s Arms in Sherborne was burgled where the till was ripped out and cash stolen.
Dorset police are advising publicans to make sure their premises are secure overnight if they are not occupied. The advice is:
- Keep all doors locked when the pub is closed. Take keys out of locks.
- Install a burglar alarm and use it every day.
- Close and lock windows. Also, draw curtains.
- Consider having a gravel path or driveway because it makes anyone approaching easier to hear.
- Use light timer switches and install lights outside to light up pathways at night.
Police are appealing for information about the burglaries and say they are keeping an open mind on whether the incidents in Dorset and Somerset are linked.