The hunt for the UK's greatest publican gets underway this week with entries now invited for the BII Licensee of the Year 2009 award.
The ultimate accolade in licensed retailing, due to be presented at The Publican Awards next March and sponsored by Matthew Clark, will go to the individual or partnership who can demonstrate that they have made the very best of the resources they have available during a rigorous judging process.
They could be running a community boozer, a village local or a high-street bar. But what's most important is that they:
• show great business ability
• are committed to improving themselves and their staff
• are passionate about the business and can speak knowledgeably about industry affairs
• would be a great ambassador for professionalism in licensed retail
As well as the title, the winner will receive £1,000 to donate to their chosen charity and a case of wine to auction for a good cause, courtesy of Matthew Clark.
The BII Licensee of the Year award is run in conjunction with The Publican and the winner will remain a closely guarded secret until the night of next year's Publican Awards in London on March 24 2009.
This year's BII Licensee of the Year Chris Lewis of the Swan, Stafford, had this to say about winning: "I have had in excess of £10,000 worth of press exposure, met some very interesting people and got some great business ideas from other operators."
The closing date is October 3.
• For more details contact Joanna Buston on 01276 417802 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.