Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours+
- 900g/2lb diced chuck steak
- 40g/1½oz flour (lightly seasoned)
- 90g/3oz butter
- 2 whole leeks, washed and chopped
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1½ litre/ 3 pints beef stock (cubes are good for this)
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 900g/2lb potatoes, peeled, boiled, mashed and seasoned
- 90g/3oz stilton (ideally Colston Bassett or Cropwell Bishop ideally)
- I slice of bread, toasted, then grated to make breadcrumbs
1. Coat the meat with the seasoned flour; put a large pan on the stove to heat.
2. Melt the butter into the pan then add the meat, cook until sealed.
3. Add the leeks, mustard and thyme, pour in the stock. Simmer for two hours, stirring occasionally.
4. Make the mash whilst the meat is cooking.
5. Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7
6. Check the meat is tender, then pour into an ovenproof dish and cover with the mashed potato.
7. Top with the Stilton and breadcrumbs then bake for 20 mins until golden brown.
8. Serve piping hot with steamed greens.