Licensees warned over pub energy ratings

By Gurjit Degun

- Last updated on GMT

Related tags: Energy performance certificate, Renting

Licensees warned over pub energy ratings
Licensees looking to sell or lease their pub need to make sure that the energy rating of the property has been carried out properly.

That’s the warning from Andrew Whelan, of energy performance certificate (EPC) provider EPCforProperty, who said that many publicans see getting an EPC for their property as simply “extra red tape”.

He said: “People want to get an EPC as cheaply as possible and the assessor may do a quick job.

“At the moment, an EPC is seen as red tape and people want to know which is the cheapest way to get one and they are not bothered about what it says.”

Whelan said that property investors are interested in what the EPC says and how accurate it is.

An EPC, which shows the energy efficiency of buildings, became a legal requirement in 2008 and must be provided by the vendor of a pub. The most efficient properties are in Band A.

Whelan said: “Licensees need to make sure that the assessor is well-qualified and accredited.”

From 2018, licensees will have to take steps to increase the energy efficiency of their pubs if they are to be leased, or face being removed from the rental market. Properties with an F or G EPC rating will not be allowed to be let from 2018.

The Department for Communities & Local Government (DCLG) is responsible for approving energy assessor accreditation schemes.

A spokesperson said: “Energy assessors must be suitably qualified and also be a member of a DCLG-approved accreditation scheme that is relevant to the work that they do.”

The DCLG website has a list of accreditors​.

Related topics: Property law

Related news

Show more