The pub, run by lessee Tom Gavaghan since October 2007 and manager Victoria de Polo, won the top Griffin Trophy ahead of 386 other Fuller’s pubs for being “the epitome of a truly great English pub”.
Gavaghan and de Polo have won a £5,000 holiday, a staff party, an engraved plaque and the Griffin Trophy.
The result was announced at a ceremony held in the Board Room at the company's Griffin Brewery in Chiswick on yesterday (6 November).
Fuller's chairman Michael Turner said: "Tom and his manager, Victoria, keep an exceptional bar as well as running a fantastic kitchen. Due to their hard work, intuitive foresight and creativity, it truly is no surprise that this pub has achieved Master Cellarman status this year and has recently been voted the second best restaurant in the capital on Trip Advisor – ahead of some of the City's most famous Michelin starred eateries.
“It is a meeting point for the local community and visitors to the area who enjoy the light hearted and friendly atmosphere. It has retained its original charm and 1890’s style while moving forward with current times with modern decor, delicious menus and excellent range of cask ales.”
Gavaghan said: “This is a fantastic surprise. A pub is nothing without its people so I would like to thank all my customers who have supported the pub over the years and especially my wonderful staff, who make the pub what it is.
"This win is largely down to my amazing general manager, Vicki, and I cannot thank her enough for everything she does for The Andover Arms."
- Winner: The Andover Arms, Brackenbury Village, London
- Finalists: Ye Olde Mitre, Ely Place, London and The King’s Head, Guildford, Surrey
Best City/London Pub
- Winner: The Vintry, The City, London
- Finalist: Red Lion, Parliament Street, London
- Winner: The White Swan Hotel, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire
- Finalist: The Wykeham Arms, Winchester, Hampshire
Best Town/Local Pub
- Winner: The Old Plough, Cobham, Surrey
- Finalist: The Crystal Palace, Bath, Avon
Best Country/Village Pub
- Winner: The Rising Sun, Liphook, Hampshire
- Finalist: The Pointer, Newchurch, Sandown, Isle of Wight