The top award for Beer Writer of the Year 2014 went to bloggers and writers Boak & Bailey (Ray Newman and Jessica Slack) for their book Brew Britannia, published earlier this year.
Meanwhile, the Guild’s Brewer of the Year Award was presented to Mark Tranter, founder of Burning Sky Brewery in East Sussex and formerly of Dark Star.
Will Hawkes, Beer Writer of the Year 2013, and chairman of judges this year, said: “2014 has been a good year for beer and by extension for beer writing. The number of new brewers entering the market, the diversity of beers brewed by them, and the growth of pubs and bars dedicated to craft beers, means there is no shortage of material for beer writers.
“We were impressed with the quality of entries received from all corners of the beer writing and blogging world. Boak & Bailey’s book presented an entertaining, informative and rigorously researched view of recent beer history and is a worthy winner.”
He added: “The Young Beer Writer award, introduced this year, received a good response from new writers whom we were able to judge without competition from more established names. We’re delighted to be fostering new talent in this way.”
Judges this year also included: Will Dean, editor of the Independent magazine; Natalie Whittle, associate editor, FT Magazine; Tim Hulme, chief executive of the BII; and Georgina Young, brewing manager at Fuller Smith & Turner.
The full list of winners is:
- Brewer of the Year - Mark Tranter, Burning Sky Brewery
- Young Beer Writer of the Year - Winner: Pip Sprake; Highly Commended: Paul Bates
- Greene King IPA Award for Best Beer & Travel Writer - Winner: Tim Webb; Silver Award: Tim Skelton
- Shepherd Neame 1698 Award for Best Beer & Food Writer - Winner: Mark Dredge; Silver Award: Jane Peyton
- Thwaites Award for Best Beer Writer - Corporate Communications - Winner: Carlsberg UK
- Brains SA Gold Award for Best Beer Communicator – Online - Winner: Martyn Cornell; Silver Award: Boak & Bailey
- Fuller’s ESB Award for Best Beer Writer – Trade Media - Winner: Nigel Huddleston; Silver Award: Roger Protz
- Adnams Award for Best Beer Writer - Regional Media - Winner: Alastair Gilmour; Silver Award: John Owen
- Molson Coors Award for Best Beer Writer - National Media - Winner: Boak & Bailey; Silver Award: Mark Dredge
- The Michael Jackson Gold Tankard for Beer Writer of the Year 2014: Boak & Bailey