Wine bar faces prosecution after liquid nitrogen cocktail almost kills drinker

By Mike Berry contact

- Last updated on GMT

Related tags: Liquid nitrogen, Law, Alcoholic beverage

Oscar's Wine Bar in Lancaster
Oscar's Wine Bar in Lancaster
The director and one employee of a bar where a teenage girl was seriously injured after drinking a liquid nitrogen cocktail have been charged under the Health and Safety at Work Act.

Gaby Scanlon had her stomach removed after drinking two shots of Jägermeister laced with liquid nitrogen celebrating her 18th birthday at Oscar’s Wine Bar in Lancaster in 2012. According to reports at the time, the drink burnt away her stomach lining and resulted in emergency surgery.

Lancaster City Council has since launched legal action against the bar with its director and one member of staff facing charges. The first hearing is due to take place on 9 February.

Following the incident, MPs voted in Parliament to ban the use of liquid nitrogen in drinks and the Food Standards Agency issued a warning against using the ingredient.

Council statement

In a statement the council said: “Andrew Dunn, of The Garden Village in Old Earswick, Yorkshire, has been summoned to court to answer charges under sections 3(1), 33(1)(a) and 37 of the Health and Safety at Work Act etc 1974 in relation to his role as a director of Oscar’s Wine Bar.

“Matthew George Harding, of George Street in Lancaster, has also been summoned to court to answer charges under and breaches of sections 7 and 33(1)(a) of the Health and Safety at Work Act etc 1974 in relation to his role as an employee of Oscar’s Wine Bar.

“The company, Oscar’s Wine Bar Ltd, registered address of 39-42 Bridge Street, Swinton, South Yorkshire, has been summoned to court to answer charges under sections 3(1), and 33(1)(a) of the Health and Safety at Work Act etc 1974.”

Related topics: Other operators, Spirits & Cocktails

Related news