The beer was awarded by a judging panel of beer writers, members of the licensed trade and CAMRA members at the National Winter Ales Festival in Derby, which began today (11 February). It also won CAMRA’s Winter Beer of Britain and Champion Beer of Britain awards in 2013.
Purple Moose’s Darkside of the Moose came second while Dancing Duck’s Dark Drake was awarded bronze.
CAMRA describes the 6.5% ABV Elland 1872 Porter as a “creamy, full-flavoured porter with rich liquorice flavours and a hint of chocolate from the roasted malt.”
Elland Brewery manager Mike Hiscock said: “It’s absolutely fabulous to win the Champion Winter Beer of Britain. Though we certainly weren’t expecting this, it is amazing to get the hat trick and win this award for the third time.
“We know it is independently judged so for it to keep coming out on top is testament to the depth of flavour and complexity that we get into the beer. This really is fantastic news.”
Elland 1872 porter will now go forward to compete in the overall Champion Beer of Britain competition at the Great British Beer Festival in August.
Nik Antona, Champion Winter Beer of Britain director, said: “Elland 1872 is a fantastic example of what a traditional porter should taste like and has been hugely popular for many years, particularly it seems with competition judges, who have named it Champion Winter Beer of Britain twice and overall Champion Beer of Britain once in the last three years – a huge achievement.”
Full list of winners
- Champion: Elland – 1872 Porter
- Silver: Purple Moose – Darkside of the Moose
- Bronze: Dancing Duck – Dark Drake
Barley Wine and Strong Old Ales
- Gold: Lees - Moonraker
- Silver: Orkney - Skullsplitter
- Bronze: Darwin – Extinction Ale
Old Ale/Strong Milds
- Gold: Purple Moose – Darkside of the Moose
- Silver: Ulverston – Fra diavolio
- Bronze: Castle Rock – Midnight Owl
- Gold: Dancing Duck – Dark Drake
- Silver: Plain Ales - Incognito
- Bronze: Highland – Sneeky Wee Orkney Stout
- Gold: Elland – 1872 Porter
- Silver (joint): Bath Ales – Festivities; Fuller’s – London Porter
- Bronze: Blakemere - Deep Dark Secret