The producer is sending out 124,000 jam jar glasses to the trade, and is providing pubs and bars with tips to boost summer sales.
Designed to encourage their customers to stay longer and return, Diageo’s ‘Inspire, Sell, Serve’ campaign suggests serving eye-catching cocktails in quirky vessels, clearly communicating the drinks offering through inspiring menus, and offering outdoor table service.
With al fresco drinking in mind, Diageo’s summer tips also include ways to look after consumers on hot days.
Simply adding sliced cucumber or berries to iced water can encourage consumers to drink more water, it said.
Diageo also suggested that licensees should offer promotions – like free sunscreen or discounted sharing plates with every pitcher – to make sure their customers stay for a longer period of time.
Faith Holland, head of on-trade category development at Diageo GB, claimed summer is the perfect time for licensees to make the most of any outdoor space.
She said: “Make sure you consider all opportunities to amplify sales – from creating the perfect sharing pitcher, eye-catching PoS and inspiring menus, food promotions and even outdoor games, making sure every occasion in summer is covered.”
“People are no longer content with standard drink options – they’re looking for new experiences and refreshing long drinks, especially over summer.
Holland added: “With continued growth of 1.8% in the spirits category year-on-year, there’s a massive opportunity for licensees to drive the category even further.”
Consumers are being encouraged to engage with Diageo’s summer campaign through social media and the hashtag #LetsCocktail, with the chance to win prizes through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Create inspiring serves
- Quirky vessels don’t have to be expensive – how about pairing jam jars with a summer pitcher?
- Try putting your glasses in the fridge to keep them cold – and use plenty of ice.
- Always use fresh garnishes.
Don’t keep your customers guessing
- Use menus and back bar P0S to clearly communicate your summer drinks offering.
- Displaying images of delicious finished drinks drives crave appeal.
Look after your customers on hot days
- Make water more appealing by adding fresh strawberries or cucumber.
- Offer free sunscreen with every pitcher purchased.
- Run promotions on food, for example, sharing platters to go with pitchers.
Make it the Great Outdoors
- Why not take table bookings outside as well?
- Offer table service to allow your customers make the most of the sunshine.
- Providing outdoor games can create a memorable and unique experience.
Diageo has also conjured up a number of new summer cocktails, including The Pimm Daddy, Good Ol’ Whisky Ginger, and The Minty Mashed Up Mojito – made with Pimm’s, Johnnie Walker Red Label and Captain Morgan Original Spiced Gold respectively.
According to the CGA Cocktails Report 2014, adding cocktails to the menu can increase spirit sales by 36%.