A study using 65,000 reviews on app Pint Please, compiled by academics at the pubLAB research unit at Anglia Ruskin University’s Lord Ashcroft International Business School, found that the app’s UK users’ favourite beers averaged 4.4%ABV, in comparison to other Europeans averaging 7.9%ABV.
Tim Froggett, senior lecturer in marketing at Anglia Ruskin University, said: “UK drinkers prefer lighter lower strength ales, especially the new generation of golden ales which are often packed with fruity and aromatic hops.”
The pubLAB also estimated the most popular time to buy beer across Europe is 6.02pm, when drinkers head for a pint straight after work.
The survey named Thornbridge pale ale Halcyon as beer enthusiasts’ favourite UK pint.
Halcyon is also second in the overall list, behind a 10.2% Trappist beer from Belgium.
Top five UK beers as voted for by Pint Please users across Europe:
1) Halcyon by Thornbridge Brewery. India Pale Ale. 7.4% ABV
2) Jack Hammer by BrewDog. India Pale Ale. 7.2% ABV
3) Punk IPA by BrewDog. India Pale Ale. 5.6% ABV
4) Citra by Oakham Ales. Golden Ale. 4.6% ABV
5) Bishops Farewell by Oakham Ales. Golden Ale. 4.6% ABV
Top five beers overall as voted by Pint Please users across Europe:
1) Westvleteren 12 by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus. Quadrupel. 10.2% ABV
2) Halcyon by Thornbridge Brewery. India Pale Ale. 7.4% ABV
3) Victory at Sea by Ballast Point. Imperial Stout. 10.0% ABV
4) Imperial Stout by Nøgne Ø. Imperial Stout. 9.0% ABV
5) Rochefort Trappistes 10 by Brasserie Rochefort. Quadrupel. 11.3% ABV