Sixty customers taken ill after norovirus outbreak at pub

By Oli Gross contact

- Last updated on GMT

Sixty customers taken ill after norovirus outbreak at pub

Related tags: Environmental health officers, Public health england, Health, Hygiene

A pub was closed and disinfected after 60 customers and staff suffered vomiting and diarrhoea after visiting the venue.

Public Health England (PHE) was informed of the suspected norovirus cases after customers of Hobsons Choice in Kettering fell ill.

PHE is working closely with environmental health officers at Kettering Borough Council to identify the source of the infection, and the methods of working and hygiene standards at the establishment are being assessed.

Hobsons Choice temporarily closed last week so all public areas and guest toilets could be thoroughly disinfected and it is now reopen for business.

Practices

The pub said it has worked with the authorities and they are happy with their hygiene practices.

Medical advice has been given to affected customers to help them with their recovery and to stop the illness spreading.

David Pearce, consultant in health protection, Public Health England East Midlands, said: “Following a number of reports of people having diarrhoea and vomiting after visiting at a pub in Kettering, we have been looking into the cause of their illness.

Advice

“Along with environmental health officers, we have advised on the public health actions that should be taken to stop the infection spreading. Although very unpleasant, people with a gastrointestinal illness will usually recover within a few days although more severe cases may require medical treatment.There is no continuing risk to the public.”

A spokesman for Hobsons Choice said: "We are aware of a reported norovirus outbreak in the area and have worked to support the EHO who are satisfied with our hygiene practices.

“As a precautionary measure to help prevent the potential for further spread, we voluntarily closed the pub on Wednesday night for a temporary period to thoroughly disinfect the public areas and guest toilets as the health and safety of our guests is paramount.

Reopened

“We reopened on Thursday afternoon and apologise to our guests for any inconvenience caused.”

Norovirus is highly infectious and great care needs to be taken to prevent its spread. The advice for people with symptoms is: 

  • Stay away from work, school or college until you have been free of symptoms for at least 48 hours.
  • Do not handle or prepare food for other people until you have been symptom free for a minimum period of 48 hours.
  • Do not visit friends or relatives in hospitals or residential care homes to avoid introducing the infection to environments where it could spread easily and put vulnerable people at greater risk.
  • Do not attend social gatherings until you have been free of all symptoms for at least 48 hours.
  • Wash your hands thoroughly and regularly at all times, but particularly after toilet visits and before eating.
  • Do not share towels with others. If possible, use paper towels after hand-washing and dispose of them immediately.
  • Make sure that any surface that is contaminated by vomit or faeces is promptly and thoroughly disinfected after an episode of illness
  • Try to avoid going to your GP, as norovirus can spread to others very easily. Call your GP or NHS 111 if you're concerned or need any advice

See further here​. 

Related topics: Health & safety

Related news