Pub gardens

Outdoor prep for summer trading

By Poppleston Allen

- Last updated on GMT

Outdoor prep for summer trading

Related tags Premises licence Liability insurance

As summer will soon be upon us and with any luck some sunny weather too, now is a good time to start thinking of summer promotions and maximising the benefit from any external areas you have available. 

Although we can’t guarantee the weather, there are many ways customers can be encouraged to enjoy the summer and your outdoor spaces.

We have provided a few key points for consideration.

  • Review your existing premises licence and check for any conditions that may restrict your licensable activities. You should also check your licensing plans as your beer garden/external area may already be licensed for certain activities.
  • We have previously commented on the deregulation of entertainment and depending upon the time, type of music and activities that you wish to provide and the size of audience, your external area may not require any additional permission.
  • Should you wish to sell alcohol from an external bar it must be located within the licensed area shown on your premises plans and would be permitted as an ‘on’ sale.
  • Providing your premises licence permits the sale of alcohol for consumption off the premises, customers can enjoy their beverages in your beer garden, even if it’s not on your premises plans.
  • As the sale of alcohol occurs where the alcohol is selected, usually behind a bar, waiter/waitress service could also be provided to customers consuming alcohol in your external area as an ‘off’ sale. However, staff members should not be selling additional drinks, such as selling and pouring ‘shots’ at an external table, unless the area is appropriately licensed.
  • If you wish to place tables and chairs on the public highway, you may need to obtain permission from the council. You may also require planning permission from your local planning department. Any permission is likely to come with its own set of restrictions with regard to hours of operation, numbers permitted and the prevention of any obstruction to pedestrians. You will also have to provide public liability insurance and your local council may have other standard conditions that are applied. You should also check that your premises licence permits ‘off’ sales. Some authorities require that the area be contained within your licensed area so a variation to your premises licence may be required to cover the additional space.
  • When using any external area or holding events, it is always good practice to carry out appropriate risk assessments, of particular relevance if planning an outdoor barbecue. You should also consider whether you have relevant public liability insurance and measures and safeguards in place to control noise and nuisance, which may be caused to your local neighbours.
  • You can always apply for a Temporary Events Notice but be aware of the minimum time requirements (10 clear working days for a standard TEN or five for a late TEN).

Hopefully some food for thought and here’s to a great British summer.

Related topics Events & Occasions

Related news

Show more