The Mirror reported this morning that 54-year old Carolyn Parsons gave her family a thumbs up to show she was enjoying the meal at the Bridge Inn in Michaelchurch Escley, Herefordshire, before gagging on the food and turning blue.
Her family members reportedly spent more than an hour trying to save her but were sadly unable to prevent her death.
Her sister-in-law told the newspaper that, towards the end of the meal, Parsons appeared distressed and made a gagging movement and tried to speak but couldn’t.
“I hit her on the shoulders but it made no difference and she made no response when asked it if was better – her face turned blue and she then collapsed,” she said.
Mark Bricknell, Herefordshire county coroner, recorded a verdict that Ms Parsons died of choking due to food getting stuck in her airway.
A spokesperson for the family told The Sun: “She was doing what she loved most – enjoying a country pub meal with family.”
Shard of glass
Earlier this year, a customer at a London pub narrowly avoided serious injury when she discovered a "giant" shard of glass inside a chicken burger at a London pub.
29-year old diner Lauren Lunn Farrow ordered the burger with chips at Metropolitan Pub Company site the Merchant, Battersea, but when she went to cut into it she found the shard of glass sandwiched between the chicken, salad and sauce.
A spokesperson for the pub apologised "unreservedly" for the incident, telling the Publican's Morning Advertiser it had taken steps to ensure nothing like the incident would ever happen again.