Campaign to reopen pub amid claims shooting was a 'freak accident'

By Oli Gross contact

- Last updated on GMT

Campaign to reopen pub amid claims shooting was a 'freak accident'

Related tags: Liverpool

A campaign has been launched to reopen a pub amid claims a reported shooting at the venue was a ‘freak accident’.

The Lingmell Inn in West Derby was taped off and closed down while police carried out forensic work after a man attended hospital with a fractured skull last week - a wound police believed he received when standing outside the pub.

The pub was closed down until May 31 due to a court order, but a petition has been set up to reopen the Lingmill, amid claims there had been a freak accident.


“This pub is one of many positive businesses helping with the regeneration of our local community and it's important we have it back as soon as possible,” it states.

“Due to a freak accident our family community pub has been closed down and we want it back.”

The petition​ so far has 564 supporters.

“Since the new owners and management took over they have changed the place around having a positive effect on the community turning a run-down pub with a bad reputation into a great safe family community food orientated pub,” it continues.

'Safe environment'

“It offers a safe and enjoyable environment that is comfortable and friendly for everybody. The pub takes an active role in the community, hosting and leading charity events, which not only benefit the local community but all of Liverpool.”

The pub was closed at the time of the ‘shooting’ and no customers were present, according to reports.

Three men were arrested soon after the assault, who have since been bailed.


Merseyside Police launched an investigation after a man presented himself at University hospital Aintree with a wound to his head on Tuesday 17 May.

The 43 year-old arrived at the hospital in Fazakerley after just before 12.45pm.

It is believed that he had been outside The Lingmell Inn on Muirhead Avenue East in West Derby when he received the injury.

Police reported last week that tests are ongoing to establish what caused the injury.


A suspected air weapon was recovered from the scene and three males were arrested on suspicion of s18 assault.

The road was been closed from Lingmell Avenue across the front of the pub to allow a search of the area to be carried out and forensic examinations take place.

Police carried out house to house enquiries as part of their investigation.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Merseyside Police on 101 or the confidential Crimestoppers line on 0800 555 111.

Related topics: Health & safety

Related news