Sales of premium spirits in the on-trade have already grown by 12% in the past 12 months, CGA Strategy statistics showed.
To help pubs tap into the growth and boost sales, Pernod Ricard, which owns wine, Champagne and spirits brands such as Absolut, Malibu, Havana Club, Jacob’s Creek, Mumm and Glenlivet Founder’s Reserve, has suggested a three steps approach to push growth.
For instance, taking to social media to showcase new drinks serves can help pubs tap into the 75% of consumers who are looking to try something new.
Looking for experiences
Customers are also looking for experiences, which they will share across their social media platforms, according to Pernod Ricard. By tapping into summer social gatherings and events – such as National Gin Day (11 June) or National Pina Colada Weekend (8 –9 July) – pubs can drive interest around their offer.
Finally, key summer events, such as the Olympics and Wimbledon, are ideal platforms on which pubs can capitalise.
Pernod Ricard UK commercial director Chris Ellis, said: “Summer is all about driving sales through key occasions and truly understanding how people are interacting with the on-trade, and by following these insights-led steps, we believe we can get our five-year ambition for retailers off to a flying start.”
Pernod’s top tips to £2.5bn in drinks sales:
1) Harness the power of summer
- Use social media platforms to inspire customers
- Showcase your point of difference by tapping into local products
- Tell a story
- Provide lighter options to tap into the growing demand for healthy eating
2) Sell experiences
- Make the most out of national days
- Follow high-profile campaigns, such as Father’s Day
- Educate your staff on the products you sell and why
- Keep social media up-to-date with offers and events
- Sell recognisable brands
3) Get involved with key event spikes to grow sales
- Batch-make cocktails ahead of busy periods
- Link food and drink promotions – Champagne with strawberries and cream
- Make your wine offer more eye-catching