Pub closed after licensees fail to report man being shot in head

By Oli Gross contact

- Last updated on GMT

Pub closed after licensees fail to report man being shot in head

Related tags: Appeal

A pub has been closed for 90 days despite claims a shooting incident at the venue was a ‘accident’.

The incident at the Lingmell Inn, west Derby, left a man with shards of metal embedded four and a half centimetres into his brain, and the licensees were criticised for not calling an ambulance or informing police.

After the pub was closed pending the case on May 17, the pub had appealed to be reopened.

But at a court case today, owners Dean Jones and Pat Molloy were condemned for trying to keep the venue open at all costs, in fear of jeopardising their licence.

The Liverpool Echo​ was at the court case, and reported the judge’s verdict: “I find those present at the scene did everything they could not to bring the incident to the attention of the authorities. The victim was given medical attention although he was taken to hospital in a rough and ready way. The fact is this was a business there to make money, and a venture just getting on its feet.”

Molloy’s father Paul Allen had been shooting clay pigeons on the roof, and the weapon was discharged when he was packing up to leave, according to reports.

Jason Cumine, who was having a business meeting with the owners, was hit in the head by a pellet, and the owners rushed him to hospital in a transit van rather than calling an ambulance, the court heard.

'Risk to public'

The judged concluded the pub should be closed for 90 days as it was a ‘risk to the public’.

A lawyer defending the owners said there was nothing to suggest re-occurrence as the incident was an accident not disorder.

The owners were also ordered to pay £2,260 prosecution costs.

The pub was taped off and closed down while police carried out forensic work after a man attended hospital with a fractured skull last week - a wound police believed he received when standing outside the pub.

The pub was closed down until May 31 due to a court order, but a petition was set up to reopen the Lingmill, amid claims the shooting was a freak accident.


“This pub is one of many positive businesses helping with the regeneration of our local community and it's important we have it back as soon as possible,” it states.

The petition​ so far has 564 supporters.

“Since the new owners and management took over they have changed the place around having a positive effect on the community turning a run-down pub with a bad reputation into a great safe family community food orientated pub,” it continues.

'Safe environment'

“It offers a safe and enjoyable environment that is comfortable and friendly for everybody. The pub takes an active role in the community, hosting and leading charity events, which not only benefit the local community but all of Liverpool.”

The pub was closed at the time of the ‘shooting’ and no customers were present, according to reports.

Allen, Jones and Molloy were arrested on suspicion of wounding with intent to cause GBH, and are on bail.

Related topics: Health & safety

Related news