An investigation has been launched after 53-year-old Julie Hemmings died in Turkey, while on holiday, two weeks after falling violently ill.
The Mirror reported she and her husband, Mark Hemmings, had consumed the meal with her brother-in-law and his wife at a London pub the day before they left for their holiday.
Mark and Julie Hemmings are understood to have both fallen ill but while Mark recovered, his wife’s condition worsened.
'So painful she ended up in tears'
He told the national paper that when she was rushed to hospital after experiencing severe diarrhoea, vomiting and stomach cramps "so painful she ended up in tears", the doctors said she had suffered a perforated bowel and poison was "seeping into her system".
She died on 29 May and was flown home for a funeral, which took place on Wednesday (22 June).
An inquest is due to be held into Julie Hemmings’ death at Hull Coroner's Court in due course.
The British Hospitality Association (BHA) recently launched a new industry guide for food businesses aimed at helping them prevent food safety slip-ups.
The guide, which is the first official update to food safety guidelines in 20 years, came shortly after a restaurateur was jailed for manslaughter after a customer died suffering a severe allergic reaction to ground peanuts.