The Who’d A Thought It pub, in Lockeridge, Wiltshire, was given the lowly rating by Wiltshire Council’s food safety team, which licensee Chris Kent told the Publican’s Morning Advertiser was because the pub had fallen behind on paperwork and administration rather than any issues with the food itself.
He said: “It is paperwork and structure that were the problem – in no way, shape or form has food ever been a problem or is there any worry.”
“For a small establishment, I only have two members of staff – there’s me in the kitchen and the young girl on the bar. I have to hold my hands up to the paperwork but everything that was required to be done has been done and now I’ve got to sit with this mark until they come around.”
The pub currently has a four-and-a-half-star rating on TripAdvisor, with many customers praising the quality of food and service.
One review reads: “Literally the best pie I’ve ever eaten! It’s a small pub, so book in advance, but make sure you go. Lovely service and fantastic food!”
Worries over trade
Kent said he was worried that the rating would harm trade.
“People don’t recognise the amount of paperwork and other things that contribute [to food hygiene ratings]. It’s not like I close the kitchen and I’m done for the day. I close the kitchen then I go on to the bar, then I’m up at 8am after going to bed at one in the morning.
“There is nothing to worry about and we hope our customers understand that.”