Enterprise fined £95k after pub’s employee “seriously injured” in gas stove accident

By Daniel Woolfson

- Last updated on GMT

Enterprise: pleaded guilty to charges under the Health and Safety at Work Act
Enterprise: pleaded guilty to charges under the Health and Safety at Work Act

Related tags Public house County borough Accident

Enterprise Inns has been fined £95,000 after a member of staff at one of the company’s tenanted pubs suffered burns from a gas-fired cooking range. 

The company pleaded guilty to failing to ensure, so far as was reasonably practicable, that equipment provided for use at the Angel Inn, Caerphilly, was safe for use and without risk to health under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 at Newport Magistrates' Court on 16 August.


Caerphilly County Borough Council’s environmental health team brought the prosecution after an investigation into the accident, which saw the member of staff in question hurt in a 'flash over' from the appliance in question.

Cllr Nigel George, council cabinet member for community services, said: “We take all cases of accidents reported to the council very seriously and investigate them thoroughly.

“This was a serious incident involving a person becoming injured as a result of a faulty gas appliance and I am pleased that the court has reflected this in the fine.”

Enterprise was also ordered to pay additional costs of £15,860 and a £120 victim surcharge.


A spokesperson for the pubco said: “Following the regrettable incident at the Angel Inn at Caerphilly, we conducted a thorough investigation and found that our health and safety policy had not been followed in full.

“We therefore pleaded guilty in Newport Magistrates' Court to a charge under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and have been fined £95,000.”

It was important to note the employee in question was employed by the licensee, not the pubco, and that Enterprise was prosecuted as the owner of the premises, the spokesperson added.

Related topics Equipment

Related news

Show more