Christine and Karlton Varney, both 50, owners of the Hotel Athol on South Promenade, pleaded guilty to 11 breaches of the food safety and hygiene regulations at Blackpool Magistrates Court yesterday (26 October).
They were ordered to pay £180 for each offence – a total of £1980 – as well as £220 in costs.
Councillor Gillian Campbell, deputy leader of Blackpool Council, said: “Some of the things that we found in this kitchen were absolutely disgusting.”
She added: “Our officers came across mouldy food and out-of-date products along with grimy hobs, fridges and utensils.
“If you serve food to the public then there is absolutely no excuse for falling below the required standards and we will not hesitate to prosecute anybody who is putting the public at risk by serving food in an unsafe environment.”
The Morning Advertiser reported last week (19 October) that pubs could soon be forced to display their food hygiene ratings. Displaying ratings has been mandatory for Welsh businesses for the past three years.
The Food Standards Agency claimed the introduction of a statutory scheme in England would support businesses that achieved good standards and could incentivise businesses with poorer standards to improve.