Weather damage

Pubs begin Storm Angus clean-up operation

By Helen Gilbert

- Last updated on GMT

Pubs begin Storm Angus clean-up operation

Related tags West yorkshire Pennine way

Pubs across the country are cleaning up and reopening in the aftermath of Storm Angus and bad weather that has battered the UK.

The New Inn in Dyserth, North Wales was forced to shut its doors for two days after the pub was deluged by torrential rain but will now open on Thursday.

Licensee Jill Carmichael, who has runs the leased premises with her husband Steve for the past 14 years, told the Morning Advertiser​ she was in ‘absolute shock’ when rainwater started pouring in.

Scary times

“It was very, very scary,” she revealed. “The whole pub was affected. Six locals and my husband worked all through the night to get the water out, while the fire brigade pumped water out of the road. All the staff came in yesterday and tided up and disinfected the whole pub.”

In a Facebook post, the Carmichaels’ praised the local community and employees for helping out.

“After an amazing clean up today and drying out all the floors - new carpet is being fitted!! Thank you to everyone for all their support - staff & locals! Proud to be part of such a lovely village! Many thanks Steve & Jill xx”

Open for business

Mrs Carmichael said it was ‘amazing’ the pub would be open for business on Thursday.

“After the clean-up operation we’re upbeat and really chuffed that we’re going to be open tomorrow,” she added.

Elsewhere, Wetherspoons pub The Willow Grove in Lord Street is trading again after temporarily closing its doors on Tuesday when felt measuring six metres square came away from the roof.

Last week pop band Scouting For Girls were among were among 40 people who became trapped inside Britain's highest pub - the Tan Hill Inn due to heavy snow.

Heavy snow

Vanessa Houghton, who manages the seven bedroom and two dorm pub which stands at 1,732 feet in the Yorkshire Dales, said 200 customers were present for the Children in Need gig when heavy snow started falling.

​We said you’ve probably got an hour to leave if you’re not staying here tonight, which they did but then the road closed again,” she told the Morning Advertiser​. “We had five inches of snow, we couldn’t get out.

“We had about 40 people and the band. Some people slept in their cars, some slept on the pub floor, lots had rooms. In the morning the convoy that left together. You couldn’t have written a better script, it was an [incredible] atmosphere none of us will ever forget.”

Last Christmas

Last December devastating floods hit Cumbria and parts of Wales and The Union Inn pub, in Gwynedd, Wales, was forced to close for Christmas and New Year.

The Crown Inn, Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire was also badly affected on Boxing Day when the nearby River Calder burst its banks leaving the entire street under 10 feet of water.

Despite the scale of the floodwater, licensees Paul and Pamela Rowlinson managed to reopen five weeks later thanks to their tireless work and help from employees and the community. 

Related topics Other operators

Related news