Top 50 regional event menu:
- Grilled black pudding with pan-fried foie gras, salad of Pickering watercress, apple and vanilla chutney and Scrumpy reduction
Drinks: Estrella Damm
- 'Rockpool' of North Sea lobster, seared sea scallop and Shetland mussels with Lindisfarne oyster ice cream, caviar and seaweed velouté
Drinks: Estrella Damm and Pernshire Reserve White 2015
- Fadmoor veal 'sirloin' with Estrella Damm braised shin croquettes, morel mushrooms, wild garlic and sheep's curd, Inedit Jellies and fresh horseradish
Drinks: Estrella Damm and Pernshire Bourgogne Pinot Noir Bergundy 2015
- Dark Chocolate and stem ginger pudding with poached Yorkshire rhubarb, its own sorbet and lemon balm
Drinks: Estrella Damm and Barbadillo Perdro Ximenez
- Yorkshire cheese with fat rascals and Medjool date jam
Chef-patron Andrew Pern, who took the coveted top spot on the Estrella Damm Top 50 Gastropubs list for the third time in his career, in January, told The Morning Advertiser the business would continue to grow.
In this video to celebrate the first of four regional Top 50 Gastropub events, Pern outlines plans to grow the number of rooms at his one Michelin-starred pub.
This video series has been established to showcase what gastropubs across the country have to offer.
From nine to 20
The number of rooms would grow from nine to 20 in the months ahead, Pern said.
“We’re heading to Whitby, my birthplace, with the Star Inn The Harbour. We’ve already got the Star Inn The City [York] and Mr P’s Curious Tavern in York so it covers all angles and we’re not replicating each avenue of catering – and it brings a little more to the area,” he added.
In the years ahead, said Pern, gastropubs would make food more accessible than it is now to consumers.
He added: “If you have food that people can relate to on the menus, that’s half of the battle. You don’t want people not to know what’s going on when they walk in the door.”
At the regional Estrella Damm Top 50 Gastropubs event, chefs and representatives from some of the north’s greatest food-led pubs were treated to a five-course meal (see box left).
Some of the gastropubs at the event included the Staith House, North Shields; the Black Swan, Oldstead, North Yorkshire; the Rat Inn, Anick, Northumberland; and the Ye Old Sun Inn, Tadcaster, North Yorkshire.
Watch this video to find out what else Pern has to say about his business and the future of gastropubs. Visit www.Top50Gastropubs.com to see the full list.