But the Michelin-starred pub, which is run by chef-patron Stephen Harris, retained its top spot at The Morning Advertiser’s sister title Restaurant magazine’s awards, held at The Hurlingham Club in Fulham, west London, last night (Monday 12 June).
Yet, the Sportsman wasn’t the only pub to take home an award as the Lickfold Inn, Petworth, West Sussex, won the OpenTable Fit for Foodies award.
The Walnut Tree in Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, tasted success with the Best Restaurant in Wales award and the pub’s chef-patron Shaun Hill was given a Lifetime Achievement award.
List in full
See the full list of the UK’s top 100 restaurants here.
The awards in full:
- The Estrella Damm National Restaurant of the Year: The Sportsman, Seasalter, Kent
- The Service Award, sponsored by Liberty Wines: The Ledbury, Notting Hill, west London
- Lifetime Achievement, sponsored by Lavazza: Shaun Hill, the Walnut Tree, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
- Sustainable Restaurant of the Year, sponsored by Norwegian Seafood: Lake Road Kitchen, Ambleside, Cumbria
- Gastropub of the Year, sponsored by Estrella Damm: The Sportsman, Seasalter, Kent
- The Best Restaurant in Wales, sponsored by Hildon: The Walnut Tree, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
- The Best Restaurant in Scotland, sponsored by Hildon: Timberyard, Edinburgh
- The Best Restaurant in Northern Ireland, sponsored by Hildon: Wine & Brine, Moira, County Armagh
- OpenTable Fit For Foodies award: The Lickfold Inn, Petworth, West Sussex
- Restaurateur of the Year, sponsored by Aspall: Jason Atherton
- Chefs’ Chef of the Year, sponsored by RitterFresh: Claude Bosi, Bibendum, Chelsea, south London
- Chefs to Watch: Elizabeth Haigh
- Cocktail List of the Year: Hawksmoor
- Wine List of the Year: Noble Rot, Bloomsbury, north London
- One to Watch, sponsored by Schweppes: Red Rooster, Shoreditch, east London