JDW pub kitchen forced to shut after ‘pests’ found in nearby bins

By Nikkie Sutton

- Last updated on GMT

Pest control: the incident happened near to the Gloucester pub
Pest control: the incident happened near to the Gloucester pub
Pests, thought to be maggots were discovered in nearby bins to a JD Wetherspoon (JDW) pub in Gloucestershire, forcing the kitchen to close temporarily. 

The Lord High Constable of England pub at Gloucester Docks shut its kitchen for several days after the vermin was found.

A pest control company had to be called in to remove the pests, resulting in the closure. While the bins were not owned by JDW, its close proximity to where food was prepared meant it had to shut, according to Gloucestershire Live​ newspaper.

JDW spokesman Eddie Gershon confirmed the incident but emphasised that the vermin was not associated with the pub.

Resolving the issue

He said: “We can confirm there was an issue at the pub, which resulted in the kitchen temporarily closed for short periods to allow the pest control contractor to resolve the issue.

“It is important to stress the pests came from a bin area, which was close to the pub but not, in any way, connected to the pub.

“We apologise to our customers for the inconvenience caused.”

However, JDW would not confirm when the closure took place or exactly how long it lasted.

The Lord High Constable of England opened in June 2015 and was given a five out of five hygiene rating at its most recent inspection in October 2015.

Essex pub fine

Meanwhile, one Essex pub was fined more than £42,000 and stopped selling food after rats were found nesting under the fridge in the kitchen.

One inspector, who visited the pub described conditions at the Red Lion in Chelmsford as “one of the worst I have ever seen in my 30-year career”.

Serious food hygiene and safety contraventions were spotted when inspectors visited the pub in October 2016.

The pub’s kitchen remained closed voluntarily until the case was brought to Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court earlier this week (20 July).

Magistrates heard that attempts had been made to clean the kitchen and remove pests but due to holes in the walls and doors, it was still highly accessible to rodents and, therefore, not fit to reopen.

Related topics: News, Health & safety, JD Wetherspoon

Related news

Show more