Flaming Grill pub blasted over serving ‘raw’ burger to child

By Nikkie Sutton

- Last updated on GMT

Sorry situation: the Nags Head apologised for the incident (picture credit: Mike Smith)
Sorry situation: the Nags Head apologised for the incident (picture credit: Mike Smith)

Related tags: Food, Derby

A Flaming Grill pub in Derby has been criticised on Facebook after it served an undercooked burger to a child.

Emma Goodwin visited the Nags Head in Mickleover this week (Monday 14 August) where her son was served the ‘raw’ dish.

She told the Derby Telegraph​: “My son tucked into his burger and said ‘mummy, what’s that pink stuff on my burger? Is it bean juice?’

“So I looked and was just shocked – it was raw. It just looked like they had put it on the grill and flipped it straight away.

“I just think it’s disgusting they could serve something like that to a child. I remember thinking the food came out really fast. I think we ordered at about 5.30pm and I took a picture of the food at about 5.45pm.”

Goodwin added that she called over a member of staff who said she couldn’t deal with it and would get someone else to help.

A few minutes later, a man came to the table and Goodwin showed him the burger, asked if it was cooked and he replied by saying he didn’t know.

'Could have been worse'

She added: “I just asked for my money back and left the meals there. There were two managers at the bar and not one of them thought to come over and apologise for this.

“I’m a manager in the food industry myself so to see that they didn’t even apologise was disgusting. I messaged them on their Facebook page, they read it and didn’t even think to reply until I had sent them four messages.

“Thankfully, he (my son) has not been ill as he only took a couple of bites but it could have been worse – if it was my one-year-old who had eaten it she wouldn’t have been able to tell me there was anything wrong with it.”

Goodwin criticised the pub on her Facebook page alongside picture of the ‘raw’ burger, slamming the pub and its service.

She said: “Not what you expect for your kid's tea at the pub.

“Absolutely disgusting service as well, the guy didn’t even know if it was cooked, are they stupid?

“Bearing in mind we noticed this after they had already made four mistakes with our meal!"

No proper apology

She added: “I wouldn’t have been bothered if it was mine but it’s my kid's tea, luckily Riley (my son) noticed it!

“I didn’t even get a proper apology and none of the managers came over they just sent a staff member.”

Goodwin also said she had sent the pictures of the burger to environmental health officers, who have told her they will investigate, according the reports.

A spokesperson for the Nags Head apologised for the incident and said: “We take our food quality extremely seriously and are sorry that on this isolated occasion we fell below our usual high standards.

“We have spoken with our team members who were working in the kitchen at the time to ensure this does not happen again.

“We have been in direct contact with our guest and apologised for this and also for the delay in addressing her concerns at the time.

“In addition to her refund on the night, we have also said we would like to welcome her back for a meal on the house.”

Related topics: News, Greene King, Food

Related news

Show more

Related product

Related suppliers