Ingredients (serves 10)
- 1 sea trout (pinned and scaled) approx 1.5kg to 2kg
- 250g sea salt
- 250g caster sugar
- 100ml gin (the Swan uses Wicked Wolf Exmoor Gin)
- 50ml of white wine vinegar
- 4/5 ruby red grapefruit segments
- One handful of seasonal leaves and flowers
Prep time: 20 mins
Curing time: 24 hours
- Place cling film over a tray and lay the trout out.
- Give the mixture of sea salt, caster sugar, gin and vinegar a good stir and cover the trout with it.
- Wrap up tightly in the cling film and place in a fridge for 24 hours (the longer you leave it, the drier and firmer the trout gets).
- Wash the trout of the salt and gin before patting dry.
- Slice thinly using a very sharp knife and garnish with seasonal leaves and flowers.
- NB. This recipe also works well with river trout and lake-caught trout.
And to drink?
Encompassing the gin already in the dish means the spirit pairs perfectly. A fresh Wicked Wolf Exmoor Gin served with ice, a slice of lime over a sprig of thyme enhances all the flavours.