Chloe Sparks visited the Regal in Cambridge last week (Friday 7 September) when she found her vegan meal tasted like meat, according to Cambridgeshire Live.
The paper also reported that the experience “shook up” Sparks and she made herself sick in the pub’s toilet as a result.
She told the local newspaper: “When [the meal] arrived I naturally assumed it was what I had ordered but after one mouthful I knew it contained meat.”
Sparks added that she asked to speak to the manager but claimed he didn’t believe her and told her it was the five-bean chilli before taking it to the kitchen and offering a refund for the meal.
She said: “I felt like it was handled really poorly, the manager’s response was really rude and I was upset. It was my new year’s resolution to go vegan and it had all been going really well up until that point. I felt like all my hard work had gone to waste.”
Cambridgeshire Live reported that following a discussion with a friend, Sparks spoke to a different manager who offered a £20 gift card.
Sorry it happened
She said she appreciated the offer of a gift card but wouldn’t go back to the pub. She added: “My friends and I come in here about once every two months because it is cheap and a good nightspot but I thought this was handled badly and it’s put me off.”
JDW spokesman Eddie Gershon said: “While we make every effort to deliver all orders correctly, on occasion mistakes can occur and when they do we apologise and do our utmost to put them right.
“We are sorry this happened as we specifically cater for vegans and vegetarians with highlighted menu options. The customer has accepted a gift card after she brought this incident to our attention.”