On Tuesday night (28 May), a modern extension to the 9th century Mitchells & Butlers Vintage Inns pub in Horley, Surrey, caught fire, resulting in a badly damaged roof and interior.
Fire crews were called to the incident just after 7.30pm, battling the blaze and preventing it from spreading to the original part of the building.
However, the fire gutted the flat in which a family of three lived, including a young girl, her mother and the mother’s partner, leaving them with nothing.
The community has banded together to raise at least £1,000 through a Just Giving page, a target that has already been exceeded by £64 at the time of this report.
Where to donate
Donations can be made by clicking on this link.
The page read: “One of the families at Desire2Dance has lost everything they own in the fire of Ye Olde Six Bells, Horley which was their home.
“Please give as much/little as you can to help this family at this awful time and to help them start again.”
The page, set up by a local dance group, is calling for cash donations as well as clothes, bedding and furnishings.
Anyone wishing to donate clothes are kindly asked to give lady’s size 16 and size six shoes; men’s clothes in a medium and size 10 shoes; as well as clothes for a girl aged three to four and size nine shoes.
Toys are also being asked for, with a special mention of the little girl’s favourite television programme, Paw Patrol.
Donation drop off points
Katie Everett wrote on the Just Giving page: “Thank you so much everyone. There are drop off points in both Langley Green and Southgate (both in nearby Crawley), as well as Horley. Please feel free to message me, x.”
Local pub the Farmhouse, Langshott, Horley, urged its followers on Facebook to help, posting: “Ye Olde Six Bells Fire – please read the post below. A family needs our help!
“They are nearly halfway to their £1,000 target. If everyone who follows our Facebook page donates just £1 they would raise over £3k. Please help if you can.”
About 50 customers were at the pub at the time of the fire and were all evacuated unharmed.
It took four fire engines and more than 20 firefighters to contain the blaze, which is believed to have started in the pub’s kitchen.