Though reaching finals both at home and abroad is a vociferously celebrated part in the history of Liverpool Football Club – who’s Anfield home is just a stone’s throw from the Sandon complex – this year’s most northern English finalist is making its debut among the Great British Pub Awards’ finalists.
- How can showing sport boost your business? We spoke to the six finalists in the ‘best for sport’ category at the 2019 Great British Pub Awards to find out how sport gives their business that winning feeling.
Benefiting from a recent £1m, 115-bed, hotel expansion, the modern Sandon is a firm fixture in its city’s sporting landscape – dating back as far as the early 1870s and the birthplace of both Everton and Liverpool football clubs.
- 128 Premier League games exclusively live plus so much more. Call Sky on 08442 411 490 today for the best deal for your venue
A huge site boasting four function suites, the Sandon public house and Sam Dodd’s Wine Bar, the complex has evolved into a thriving community hub and an essential part of the match-day experience at nearby Anfield stadium.
John Connolly of the Sandon explains that getting food and tech standards right is key to a successful sports offer.
"Traditionally, food and sports have always gone together, so food is served three to four hours prior to all the games,” he says.
“Typical food that goes with sporting matches is your grab-and-go-type food. It’s very important to us and it’s a great source of income.
“They [customers] want a great atmosphere, they want something pleasant to drink and they want some food to go with it.”
Connolly adds that splashing the cash on venue upgrades can have an impact on a site’s bottom line. “What's given us the greatest return is the installation of new TVs and new audio equipment,” he explains.
“There’s nothing better than the build-up to the games. People come in very early just to watch – Sky in particular – because they get a real close build-up to all football matches. The atmosphere rises from a very slow beginner to a very high crescendo.”
Read more about The Sandon:
- Liverpool football pub unveils £1m hotel expansion - One of Liverpool’s famous football match-day pubs has opened a £1m extension that will house 115 beds.
- What impact did the Champions League fixture change have on pub trading? - The 2018/19 Champions League season will see back-to-back fixtures from the world’s premier club competition on the same night for the first time.
- Liverpool footy pub adds rooms in £1m expansion - Liverpool’s famous football match day pub the Sandon will see the addition of 115 hotel rooms by the end of the year, in a £1m expansion.
128 Premier League games exclusively live plus so much more. Call Sky on 08442 411 490 today for the best deal for your venue.
*Calls to Sky cost 7p per minute plus your provider’s access charge.