Staff and customers at the Palladium Electric in Midsomer Norton, Somerset, called emergency services and the duty manager cleared the pub of customers and stopped people coming into the pub.
South West Ambulance Service confirmed it was called at about 4.20pm on Monday 11 November to attend an incident on the high street.
It said several resources were sent to the scene, including the air ambulance. Crews treated a male patient at the scene and transported him to hospital by ambulance for further treatment.
However, JDW confirmed family of the diner had called the pub on Tuesday (12 November) and said he had died but thanked the staff for their efforts.
JDW spokesman Eddie Gershon said: “First and foremost, we send our sympathies to the family and friends of the customer who passed away.
“As soon as a member of staff was made aware of the man choking, staff and customers called the emergency services.
“The duty manager then spoke with the emergency services. He was guided through some procedures.
“A customer stepped in saying they were first aid trained and started to give CPR until the paramedics arrived five to 10 minutes later and they then took over.”
Gershon defended the pub staff’s response to the situation and rebuffed any claims that said different.
He added: “At this time, the duty manager started to clear the immediate area of customers and also stopped people coming into the pub.
“The paramedics managed to revive the customer and then an air ambulance took the customer to hospital.
“The family of the customer called the pub the following day to say he had passed away and thanked the team for their efforts.
“We are confident that staff responded well to the situation and refute claims to the contrary.”