The poll by HIM/MCA Insight, a division of The Morning Advertiser’s parent company William Reed Business Media, revealed 106 of 215 pub operators asked said it wasn’t viable but 109 said it was.
According to the Government's guidance released last week (Wednesday 24 June), operators should keep a temporary record of customers for 21 days in way "that is manageable for your business" and assist NHS Test and Trace with requests for that data if needed in a bid to help contain clusters or outbreaks.
Pushing up prices
However, more precise details about how publicans can do this is yet to be revealed, with further information expected this week.
Again, the trade was split on considering charging more for food and drink upon reopening, to help counter the costs incurred by coronavirus.
Exactly half (50%) said no but more than a third (38%) said they would consider charging up to 10% more and one in 10 (12%) said up to 20% more.
Broken down into specifically pub operators, 108 of the 215 respondents said they wouldn’t charge any more but 87 said up to 10% and 20 said up to 20% more.
When it comes to table service, 119 of the those who run pubs said this wasn’t a viable option and 96 said it was.
One operator said: “The 4 July has been a long time coming. Let’s hope the industry responds well and further gains the trust of consumers and Government and the virus and its severe impact on the trade is behind us.”
Poll respondents included 343 founders or board level operators across pubs, restaurants and the food-to-go sector, 215 of those surveyed were pub operators.