As part of the Great British Pub Awards Pub Heroes 2020, the MA is looking for pubs that went above and beyond when it came to taking care of their teams.
The Staff Welfare category is open for entry to all operators who ensured the people that keep the business going day in, day out, were being supported and looked after.
Ed Bedington, editor of the MA, said: “We’ve heard some amazing stories of how operators have supported their teams during lockdown, bringing people together in bubbles, topping up wages, feeding, watering and housing those in need.
“Pub staff were left in limbo by the lockdown, and while furlough provided some financial support and surety, it was still an unsettling time for all in the industry.
“We want to hear from you, how you looked after your teams, kept them involved and in the loop and supported.”
You can enter the Staff Welfare category, sponsored by Booker, now at www.greatbritishpubawards.co.uk and the winner will not only receive £1,000 from Coca Cola to put towards a charity of their choice, but also the opportunity to bid for a £10,000 grant towards a business improvement upgrade or community project of your choice.
The full list of categories in the competition are:
- Feeding the Community – A pub that has kept their community fed
- Front-Line Support – A pub that has supported the NHS and other front-line workers in a variety of ways
- Staff Welfare – A pub that has gone above and beyond to look after their teams
- Community Mindfulness – A pub that has supported the community’s mental health
- Community Services – A pub that has looked after vulnerable customers
- Business Continuity – A pub that has found innovative ways to continue to deliver its services during the lockdown
- Pub Shop – A pub that has pivoted to provide essential supplies to its local community
- Charity Champion – A pub that has raised money for charity despite the lockdown
- Keeping the Community Entertained – A pub that has continued to provide vital entertainment to its community – virtual quizzes, concerts etc
- Sheltering the Community – A pub that has provided a room for someone in need
- Punch Pub Hero of the Year
- Admiral Pub Hero of the Year
- Greene King Pub Hero of the Year
- Ei Publican Partnerships Pub Hero of the Year
Entries are open until this Friday July 24 and the competition is sponsored by Booker, Coca-Cola European Partners, Heineken UK, Diageo, Sky, EI Publican Partnerships, Admiral, Star Pubs & Bars, Punch Pubs and Greene King.