There’s now an extra week for pubs that have shone during the crisis to get their entries in and be in with a chance of winning £10,000 courtesy of Coca Cola.
Ed Bedington, editor of The Morning Advertiser (MA), which organises the awards, said: “We’ve had some amazing entries into the awards this year and it’s great to see some of the fantastic things pubs achieved during lockdown.
“However, we know that with reopening well underway, time is tight so we’ve decided to give pubs an extra weeks grace to ensure they can get their entries in.
“Part of the reason we’ve altered this year’s Great British Pub Awards is to help to shine a spotlight on the wonderful things pubs did for their communities during the crisis.
“We want to be able to say to wider society that this is what pubs are truly about, and the more stories and entries we can collect the better to help us shout from the rooftops, so get online and share your experiences with us.”
You can enter the awards online at www.greatbritishpubawards.co.uk and the winner will not only receive £1,000 from Coca Cola to put towards a charity of their choice, but also the opportunity to bid for a £10,000 grant towards a business improvement upgrade or community project of your choice.
The full list of categories in the competition are:
- Feeding the Community – A pub that has kept their community fed
- Front-Line Support – A pub that has supported the NHS and other front-line workers in a variety of ways
- Staff Welfare – A pub that has gone above and beyond to look after their teams
- Community Mindfulness – A pub that has supported the community’s mental health
- Community Services – A pub that has looked after vulnerable customers
- Business Continuity – A pub that has found innovative ways to continue to deliver its services during the lockdown
- Pub Shop – A pub that has pivoted to provide essential supplies to its local community
- Charity Champion – A pub that has raised money for charity despite the lockdown
- Keeping the Community Entertained – A pub that has continued to provide vital entertainment to its community – virtual quizzes, concerts etc
- Sheltering the Community – A pub that has provided a room for someone in need
- Punch Pub Hero of the Year
- Admiral Pub Hero of the Year
- Greene King Pub Hero of the Year
- Ei Publican Partnerships Pub Hero of the Year
Entries are open until this Friday 31 July and the competition is sponsored by Booker, Coca-Cola European Partners, Heineken UK, Diageo, Sky, EI Publican Partnerships, Admiral, Star Pubs & Bars, Punch Pubs and Greene King.