39% of operators 'somewhat prepared' for second lockdown

By Nikkie Thatcher

- Last updated on GMT

Industry poll: the survey asked more than 200 operators across the trade
Industry poll: the survey asked more than 200 operators across the trade

Related tags: Legislation, lockdown, Takeaway

Almost two fifths (39%) of operators have stated they feel 'somewhat prepared' for the second national lockdown, which came into force yesterday (Thursday 5 November).

The latest Hospitality Leaders Poll, conducted by Lumina Intelligence for The Morning Advertiser​, MCA​​, Big Hospitality ​​and Restaurant​​, surveyed 242 operators from across the trade, also found 41% of those asked supported the lockdown while 43% did not and 17% were undecided.

The research asked respondents if they felt better prepared to survive a second shuttered period, having got through the first one in the spring.

Some 39% said they felt somewhat prepared, 30% said they did, while almost a quarter (24%) did not and 17% were unsure.

More than devastating

Those surveyed were also asked if the lockdown is extended beyond 2 December, how they rate their chances of survival as a business.

Most operators (38%) said they had a “middling chance” however, a similar amount (34%) rated their chance as poor, with a fifth (22%) saying good and 5% unsure.

One operator said: “We survived the first lockdown by investing in retail display units, starting a click and collect beer service and operating as an off licence. Since reopening this has continued and just about kept us ticking over. To not have that now, with all our Christmas stock, is more than devastating.”

This comes after Prime Minister Boris Johnson has reiterated the current national lockdown restrictions will expire on 2 December​ and the tiered system will come into force thereafter.

Tiered approach

At a Downing Street press conference yesterday (Thursday 5 November) – the first day of the nationwide lockdown – Johnson urged the public to stay at home.

On the lockdown measures, the Prime Minister added: “These rules will expire and on 2 December we plan to move back to a tiered approach.”

The industry survey has asked respondents how confident they were about the future of their business every week since the outbreak of Covid-19 in the UK.

For the latest results, despite the announcement of a second national lockdown, the percentage of hospitality operators asked how confident they were increased on last week from 9% to 14%.

Related topics: Legislation

Related news

Show more

Spotlight

Follow us

Pub Trade Guides

View more

FREE EMAIL NEWSLETTER

Subscribe to The Morning Advertiser

The definitive voice for the pub trade

Get the latest news, analysis and insights from the uk pub sector straight to your inbox!