Most operators predict better than average sales this summer

By Nikkie Thatcher

- Last updated on GMT

Research undertaken: the survey polled operators from across the sector
Research undertaken: the survey polled operators from across the sector

Related tags: Legislation, Finance, Lumina Intelligence, Multi-site pub operators

About two thirds (66%) of operators are anticipating trading over the summer to be above average, research has revealed.

The Hospitality Leaders Poll, conducted by Lumina Intelligence on behalf of The Morning Advertiser​, MCA​, Big Hospitality ​and Restaurant​ surveyed 125 operators.

When broken down, just over half (54%) predict summer trade will be ‘good’, 12% said ‘exceptional’ while just over a quarter (26%) said they thought the summer would be ‘average’ and 8% said ‘poor’.

Meanwhile, the survey also asked how forward bookings had changed since the Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced indoor trade could recommence from Monday 17 May.

Government plan scrapped

Results were mixed with 34% not noticing any difference, 31% saw a slight uptick from before, 24% saw a significant increase from before, while 7% hadn’t reopened and 4% didn’t know.

The survey also quizzed respondents on their thoughts about the Government scrapping plans to mandate calorie labelling on alcoholic drinks served on site.

Almost three quarters (73%) were in strong support of the scrapping, 11% hesitantly supported the decision and believed more discussion was required.

The same percentage (11%) were unsure, just 2% did not support the move and a further 2% weren’t sure.

Confidence levels

The poll has also asked operators on their confidence levels in the future of their businesses each week.

In the latest edition, 77% showed levels of confidence with the remaining quarter (23%) ‘not confident’.

This echoed research from CGA and Fourth, which found 83% of those asked were optimistic about the prospects of their own business​ over the next 12 months.

Some 79% were optimistic about prospects for the eating and drinking out market – a level which hasn’t been reached since February 2015 and a significant rise from October (18%) and February (50%).

More than half (58%) of leaders rating their performance since outdoor trading was permitted last month (Monday 12 April) said it was ahead of their expectations with 8% saying it was below expectations.

Related topics: Legislation

Related news

Show more