Firefighters were called to the Plume of Feathers, Barlaston, on Tuesday (9 August) to investigate the odour and discovered it to be emanating from tea towels inside a tumble dryer.
A spokesperson for Staffordshire Fire & Rescue said: “We had reports of a strong smell of burning coming from the cellar area.”
“Two firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used one hose reel jet to tackle the incident. The cause was material in a tumble dryer. Once the incident was over, the firefighters used a large-scale fan to ventilate the property.”
Richard Slingsby, who owns the pub with Neil Morrissey, told the Staffordshire Newsletter at no point had there been a fire inside the building.
He said: “There was a strange odour coming from the tumble dryer so, because we value the safety of our customers and as a precaution, we called the fire service and they advised us to evacuate.”
Morrissey and partner Slingsby recently relaunched the food offer at the Plume of Feathers with new chef, Bruce Mackie.
The menu at the pub now now features dishes such as slow braised brisket with rich ale gravy in pastry with creamy mash and roast heritage carrots; Old Rosie Cider braised gammon with gooseberry ketchup, free range egg and triple cooked chips; and mussels with white wine cream and garlic.