Peter Andrews, of the Cheshire Yeoman in Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, pleaded guilty to eight offences under food safety and hygiene legislation at Chester Magistrates' Court last week.
Environmental health officers who had investigated found the pub's kitchen to be in a "general unhygienic state" with grease and dirt as well as a "contaminated" ice machine and out-of-date Cornish clotted cream.
Health at risk
Councillor Mark Henesy, cabinet member for environment and communities, said: "When food businesses fail to accept our support and put the public's health at risk, we have no other option than to take the matter to court."
Andrews was given a £4,000 base fine with additional prosecution costs to pay of £1,906.
"The safety of customers must be the top priority for any food business, and food safety officers within our regulatory services team work proactively to help business owners comply with legislation and meet hygiene standards."
The Local Government Association (LGA) recently called for legislation forcing all food-serving businesses to display their food hygiene ratings.
It said to do otherwise should be punished with fines or prosecution.
Simon Blackburn, chair of the LGA's safer and stronger communities said it was not easy for customers to judge the hygiene standards of pubs and restaurants without a sticker, potentially putting them at risk of eating "dodgy" food.
Last month, Teesside licensee Mark Miles told the Publican's Morning Advertiser how he had worked to turn around his pub, the Grapes Inn, in Scaling Dam, after he was slapped with a £30,000 fine when environmental health officers found rat droppings on the premises in 2015.