Both the Angel in Hetton, North Yorkshire, and the Royal Oak in Whatcote, Shipston-on-Stour, Warwickshire, have each gained one Michelin star.
This brings the total number of gastropubs with stars to 19, with the list now encompassing:
- The Hand & Flowers (two stars), Marlow, Buckinghamshire
- The Harwood Arms, Fulham, south-west London
- The Nut Tree Inn, Murcott, Oxfordshire
- The Blackbird, Newbury, Berkshire
- The Coach, Marlow, Buckinghamshire
- The Cross, Kenilworth, Warwickshire
- The Crown, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- The Fordwich Arms, Canterbury, Kent
- The Masons Arms, Knowstone, Devon
- The Pipe & Glass Inn, South Dalton, East Yorkshire
- The Pony & Trap, Chew Magna, Somerset
- The Red Lion Freehouse, East Chisenbury, Wiltshire
- The Sportsman, Seasalter, Kent
- The Star Inn, Harome, North Yorkshire
- The Walnut Tree Inn, Abergavenny, Wales
- Tim Allen’s Flitch of Bacon, Little Dunmow, Essex
- The White Swan at Fence, Lancashire
- The Angel at Hetton, North Yorkshire
- The Royal Oak, Whatcote, Shipston-on-Stour, Warwickshire
Following the reveal, international director of the Michelin guides Gwendal Poullennec said: “Despite the obvious challenges being faced by the industry here in the UK, we are thrilled that this has been such a stellar year, and we have seen many first ventures opening and rapidly rising to success.”
This time last year we had just got our first month under our belt. A year later, a Michelin star. Thank you so much to our amazing team, who have made this possible. And thank you @MichelinGuideUKpic.twitter.com/4CEjAU9gnW— AngelHetton (@AngelHetton) October 7, 2019
Of the new pubs in the guide, Poullennec added: “It is pleasing to see an increasing number of restaurants run by couples, with six of our new ‘stars’ run by husband and wife teams.
“These include the picture-perfect Royal Oak pub at Whatcote; modest little Stark in Broadstairs, which seats just 10 guests; the Angel in Hetton, which is now under the leadership of experienced owner Michael Wignall; and Laurie Gear’s Artichoke in Amersham.”
The number of star-holding pubs on the Estrella Damm Top 50 Gastropubs list has, as a result, also increased.
Now 12 of the Top 50 Gastropubs on the list hold Michelin stars.