Man chokes to death on meal at Somerset pub

By Nikkie Sutton

- Last updated on GMT

Tragic dish: Gordon Isaacs choked on a meal at the Star Inn, Watchet, in Somerset (image credit: Barbara Cook)
Tragic dish: Gordon Isaacs choked on a meal at the Star Inn, Watchet, in Somerset (image credit: Barbara Cook)

Related tags Food First aid

A man has died after choking during a family meal, despite the pub staff performing CPR on him, an inquest has heard. 

Gordon Isaacs was eating a meal at the Star Inn, in Watchet, in Somerset, on Saturday 29 July when he began to choke on his food, according to Somerset Live​.

The coroner’s office confirmed that pub staff were very helpful with CPR, according to Mr Isaccs’ next of kin.

The 74-year-old was taken to hospital at 10.15am on 29 July, but died at 9.50pm on Sunday 30 July.

Accidental death

Senior Somerset coroner Tony Williams, sitting at Taunton earlier this week (Wednesday 9 August) recorded a verdict of accidental death, stating that Mr Isaacs choked on food, resulting in cardiac arrest.

The Morning Advertiser ​tried to contact the Star Inn for comment, but had not received a response at the time of going to press.

Meanwhile last year, a woman choked to death eating a lobster in a Herefordshire pub.

Gagging on food

The Mirror ​reported that Carolyn Parsons gave her family a thumbs up to show she was enjoying the meal at the Bridge Inn in Michaelchurch, in Escley, before gagging on the food and turning blue.

Herefordshire county coroner Mark Bricknell recorded a verdict that Ms Parsons died of choking due to food getting stuck in her airway.

Earlier this year, a regular at a Devon pub choked to death on pickled eggs after betting £5 he could eat four of them in one minute.

David Mitchell, 66, collapsed at the White Hart Inn, Bridestowe, in Devon, after allegedly refusing to spit out the pickled eggs, according to the Exeter Express & Echo​.

Legal experts Poppleston Allen partner Graeme Cushion said the incident highlighted the need for operators to maintain their duties under health and safety legislation in regards to the welfare of their customers at all times.

Related topics News Food

Related news

Show more