Licensing Hub – Legal with Poppleston Allen

Top tips: Start applications for Bonfire Night now

By Poppleston Allen

- Last updated on GMT

Rocket science: Planning is key for a successful Bonfire Night
Rocket science: Planning is key for a successful Bonfire Night

Related tags Licensing

If you are planning to host a Bonfire Night celebration this year, there are a number of items that you need to consider.

First things ­first, ensure you have submitted a temporary event notice (TEN) application if your event is likely to be running outside of your usual hours. The latest date that you can apply for a standard temporary event notice for Bon­fire Night is 21 October. And the latest date to apply for a late TEN is 28 October.

Please note, these are the very last dates that you can apply for your temporary events notices, so I advise you to make your application earlier, if possible.

Aside from your licensing requirements, have you thought about the regulatory compliance risks associated with your event? These include items such as ­fire safety and food safety. Here are a few things you should be considering before and during your event:

Risk assessment​ – as this type of event is not in line with the normal course of your operation, you should conduct a separate risk assessment for the event. This will include elements of fire safety, health and safety, food safety, etc. Here are some of the things this will likely need to include:

Event Space​ – is it safe? If you are having a bon­fire at your event, have you marked a large enough cordon around it to ensure the public are safe? Likewise with the ­firework dispatch area, this should be far enough away from the public viewing area to ensure that the customers viewing the display are safe. It should be marked appropriately so it is easy to identify where the public can and can’t go?

Water supply​ – do you know where your nearest water supply is? If there is an emergency, can it be accessed? Do you have designated staff who are able to react?

Storage of ­fireworks​ – you can only store 50kg of type 4 ­ reworks for a period of 21 days before the event, or at a commercial event 100kg of type 3 ­ reworks up to ­five days before the event (provided they are kept at the place for the intended use). If you wish to store more or more powerful fireworks, you will need a licence from your local authority. If you are in doubt check with your local authority

Food safety​ – if additional outdoor catering/barbecue facilities are being used then food safety standards need to be upheld. Ensure meat is always stored correctly, there are washing facility, food preparation areas are kept clean, etc

Insurance ​– check your employer liability insurance and also public liability insurance, these may need to be altered to include the provisions of a ­firework display

Emergency procedures​ – if an accident or incident were to occur is there a procedure in place for staff to follow? Is there an emergency evacuation plan if needed?

Staff training​ – all staff involved with the event should be shown the event risk assessment and be given training as to the risk identi­fied and the mitigation in place to alleviate the risks

The Guy Fawkes tradition is like many others in Britain important to keep, and as long as they are planned safely and responsibly then they will continue to be an important celebration of our history.

For any legal enquiries please visit Poppleston Allen's website​.

Related topics Licensing law Licensing Hub

Related news

Show more