Top tips for World Cup TENs

By Poppleston Allen

- Last updated on GMT

Top tips for World Cup TENs

Related tags: Environmental health officer, Rugby world cup

With the Rugby World Cup just around the corner, now is a useful time to set out a few dos and don’ts when it comes to issuing Temporary Event Notices (TENs).
  • A TEN can be used both to extend the hours during which licensable activities can be provided but also the areas in which they can be provided. Therefore, if you are considering having a bar in an outside area (which is not licensed for the sale of alcohol) a TEN can be used for this
  • Although a little late now for the earlier games, if you are located near residents or have experienced noise complaints in the past, it is sensible to discuss any TEN you are looking to issue with the local police and environmental health officer. Discussions with them can negate any objection where the authorities would like you to adopt certain measures, such as providing security
  • Remember that you must give at least 10 working days’ notice when issuing a standard TEN
  • If you are issuing a late TEN, you must issue it by giving at least five working days’ notice
  • It is dangerous to rely upon late TENs. If either the police or environmental health officer object to a late TEN, this effectively acts as a right of veto with no hearing
  • provided for under the Licensing Act 2003
  • You must give notice to the relevant local police, as well as the environmental health officer at the time of issuing your TEN to the licensing authority
  • No more than 499 people can be accommodated in any area which is the subject of a TEN
  • The maximum number of TENs you are permitted for any single area is 12 (albeit it will rise to 15 in 2016 however, too late for the Rugby World Cup)
  • The total number of days covered by TENs in any calendar year cannot exceed 21, and if your TEN starts at 11pm, extending the sale of alcohol until 1am, you will have used two of your 21 days, not just one
  • You will have to build in a gap of 24 hours between any TENs, where the TEN is issued by the same person, or an ‘associate’ of that person. Simply by arranging for another employee working at a pub to issue the TEN would not work because they would be associated with the first user
  • A TEN can last up to 168 hours

Related topics: Licensing law

Related news

Show more

Follow us

Pub Trade Guides

View more


Subscribe to The Morning Advertiser

The definitive voice for the pub trade

Get the latest news, analysis and insights from the uk pub sector straight to your inbox!