Fire safety

Trade gets behind ‘Fire Kills’ campaign

By Nikkie Sutton

- Last updated on GMT

Fire damage: south-east London pub the Catford Bridge Tavern reopened after it went up in flames last year
Fire damage: south-east London pub the Catford Bridge Tavern reopened after it went up in flames last year

Related tags Men behaving badly

Trade body, the British Beer & Pub Association (BBPA) is urging licensees to remind customers to check their smoke alarms as a new fire safety campaign launches.

The Home Office has released the ‘Fire Kills’ campaign in a bid to help prevent deaths from fire by reminding the public to test their smoke alarms monthly.

BBPA chief executive Brigid Simmonds said: “I hope pubs and pub operators will get behind this new safety campaign.

“At this time of year, we all need to ensure we test our smoke alarms regularly.

Smoke alarms save lives

“Smoke alarms save lives and publicans are always a great source of good advice for customers.”

The Home Office campaign pack is available on the BBPA website​ and has a variety of resources for licensees to use to promote the campaign including printable posters and logos.

Fire services minister Brandon Lewis said: “Test your alarms when you get home and set a reminder to do so every month.

“It couldn’t be any clearer – smoke alarms only save lives if they’re working. Test it today.”

The campaign has been released to coincide with the start of winter when there is a rise in deaths caused by accidental fires at home.

Fire safety warning

Earlier this year (June), pubco Shepherd Neame teamed up with Kent Fire & Rescue Service in a fire safety campaign that warned drinkers about the dangers of drunken cooking, after a visit to the pub​.

Fire​ safety is something that licensees should always be aware of, as there is always the possibility of faulty equipment causing fires.

Men Behaving Badly ​star and licensee Neil Morrissey issued a warning to the trade​ after customers at his Staffordshire pub were evacuated following a ‘mystery’ smell which was found to be coming from the pub’s tumble dryer.

Firefighters removed the dryer and ensured it was safe before informing the pub’s staff that ‘exploding laundry’ due to essential oils not being properly washed out of kitchen towels had led to serious pub and restaurant fires in the past.

Meanwhile, legal experts Poppleston Allen encouraged operators to be aware of fire safety issues​ following a fire at a pub in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire. 

Related topics Health & safety

Related news

Show more